Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Office Happenings

          It makes sense that if I'm busy at work that gives me more time to play, right? Well,  I sure did reward myself this past week but I'll post about my Memorial Day weekend activities on Thursday.
          Since last Tuesday I have been continuely planning out summer workshops. I have been working with Alice Henneman, a Lancaster County Extension Educator, to put the finishing touches to my Social Media workshop and got that finished up on Friday as I now prep to actually present.
          I have also been reading a lot of basketball articles and trying to remember back to all of the fundamental drills I grew up doing in basketball to coordinate into the basketball camp I am hosting in July! Still can't express how excited I am to be doing this!!!! Right now I am working on rounding up some of the local high school girls basketball players for assistance at the four (4) day camp.
          Every Wednesday, the office heads down to the KBRB radio station in town to talk about upcoming events. Last Wednesday was my radio debut up here. Although, I am not new to the radio scene as I had plenty of radio experience during my high school career through my Redwood Area Cattlemen Beef Princess, MN Beef Spokesperson Team, and KNUJ Player of the Week interviews. It was a great time but sad that that is the only Wednesday that I have open to go visit the folks down at the radio.   :(  
          Now the best part of the week some far was definately today. Along with my social media workshop I wanted to work with the senior citizens in town about using computers to stay connected with family through Facebook, maybe find some unique craft or recipe ideas on Pinterest, and anything else on the computer. So today I went down to the Ainsworth Senior Center to give them an overview about what I was offering to help them with and to tell you the truth I wasn't to sure as to how it was going to turn out due to the comments they were making when they saw my slide up on the screen. To say the least I had a wonderful time!!! Back home, most of my volunteer work and 4-H involvement was with the elderly since Comfrey was populated by an older generation. When I came up here and found out that the youth do not do a whole lot with the elderly I wanted to find a way to bridge that disconnection. Anyway, I ended up have eight (8) of these wonderful citizens make appointments to  meet with me individually to understand the computer. I'll be back there twice this week and two more times next week! Plus, I am going to Bassett's senior center Thursday and hopefully will have the same response. It was such a great lunch hour to sit and visit with these folks and hear their stories of the "good ole" days and thoughts on the computer, both good and bad. They also enjoy playing cards and pool so I am going to try to round up some of the local youth to head down there sometime to just play cards or pool with the folks sometime this summer too.

          To say the least, it was another great week here in the BKR Counties Extension office!

No comments:

Post a Comment