Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Office Happenings

          Week #1 of the internship has been completed while Week #2 is in the works. These first couple of days at work have already been busy not to mention I have already ran the office "solo" twice on my first Wednesday and Thursday on the job! A success I would say though! :)

          Most of my days have been spent "planning" summer workshops. This summer I am incharge of executing at least one(1) educational program. Social Media was my topic of choice. In today's society, it is almost impossible not to be associated with such sites as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, and blog sites like eBlogger and Word Press. Many people do not partake in these sites simply because they do not know what they are or how using them can benefit their life. For those two simple reasons right there is why I have planned out four(4) Social Media workshops for the summer. As many have probably noticed, I enjoy using social media and have seen the benefits of its use personally and professionally. So if I am able to talk about something in which I use on a daily basis and enjoy using, it should hopefuly be a fun and exciting task!
         
  The other activities I am heading up include:
  • eight(8) CloverKid camps for youth ages 5-7 with the help of some Rock County FFA members who have hopes of going into the Agriculture Education field
  • an Environmental Day in conjunction with the NRCS in which I will be discussing the Emerald Ash Borer
  • a four(4) day long Elementary Girls Basketball Camp with 3rd and 4th graders in the morning and 5th and 6th graders in the afternoon during the middle of July. (I was sooo happy that I was able to get this planned in! Basketball has been a huge part of my life and to have the opportunity to share my talents and love for the sport with the youth is incredible!)
  • three(3) computer usage information session with the local senior citizen center
  • I have volunteered my time to assist 4-Hers in the Beef project area. An opportunity to help youth learn the proper ways of showmanship, daily care, show day etiquette, and anything else. (Another thing I am excited to offer! Showing cattle is a love of mine and will be doing some of that again this summer. The past two(2) years back home in Brown county MN (ironically working in Brown county NE) I helped two(2) families get started showing beef cattle which was a great experience for not only them but myself as well.)



  Other events I will be volunteering my assistance at include:
  • 4-H Regional Speech contest
  • Tractor Training- UNL Recruitment sessions
  • Ranch Expo- UNL Beef Lab and 4-H Shooting Sports Trailer
  • BizKidz Entrepreneurship Camp
  • Working with Rock Co. FFA chapter to set up a Farm Safety day in the Fall of 2012
  • Cookie Jar Decorating and Food Workshops
  • and of course the summer finale = Rock County Fair in August!
          Part of my internship also includes publicity so I will be writing news releases for such events as my basketball camp and I will also be aired on the radio for announcements! I have had some years of practice with radio interviews though my roles as Redwood Area Cattlemen's Beef Princess, MN Beef Spokesperson Team, and KNUJ Basketball Player of the week.

          So as you can see the office happenings have truly been happening! I'll continue to be a busy bee throughout the summer so keep following for future Office Happenings!

1 comment:

  1. Great work on your blog. Loved reading about your internship, and I looked forward to hearing about our the social media plan went at the end of the summer. Look forward to updates.

    ReplyDelete